Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Large MPEG file access trough lan
06-03-2007, 03:01 PM
Large MPEG file access trough lan
Hello,
I'm using a M740 box, and I tried to access to files with size over than 4 gb which are stored into my PC (WinXP SP2). The issue is that when reading the films, at about the time corresponding to 4 gb, the film goes directly to the begining (is it like a "reset" of the pointers) then I could not view the entire film.
On person from M740 forum suggested to me to install a Lemmi firmware instead of the Simens one. I installed the fw-2.03.59.lemmi-02 version and I did it with the modification of the parameter LEMMI_MOUNT_MODE_PC1 = cifs-direct, but without success.
I also tried the other options (nfs), but the connection was impossible with the PC1 link.
The only way to view the film is to have them in the USB hard disk (formatted ext3).
Does anyone has an idea to allow the system accessing to large Mpeg files ? (I do not want to use play lists as is gives a short interruption between two files).
Thank you.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-04-2007, 01:39 PM
RE: Large MPEG file access trough lan
AFAIK this is a Samba/Windows network sharing issue, i.e. it can't be fixed by changing box settings. If you use a Siemens or Lemmi-FW, a UPnP-server (e.g. Nero Media Home) on your Windows XP-machine might be used as a workaround.

Cheers,

Thomas
06-04-2007, 02:04 PM
OK thank you. If Y well understood your point, then I just need to keep the atual Siemens FW and just use the UPnP capability with a server installed on Win XP ?
I also plan to use a NAS like Synology. Do I need to use the same principle, or it will work directly ?
06-04-2007, 02:49 PM
MARC38 Wrote:If Y well understood your point, then I just need to keep the atual Siemens FW and just use the UPnP capability with a server installed on Win XP ?

Yes, correct. UPnP is currently only supported by the Siemens-FW and the (slightly outdated) Lemmi-patched versions. UPnP has been discussed here (alas, mostly in German).

However, you've got to make choices:
1) Lemmi has stopped patching the Siemens-FW, so with current release 2.4, you'll be restricted to what Siemens offers. If you need any feature only available in that FW, you don't have much choice.
2) Lemmi-patched-FW additionally offers several interesting features (e.g. ftp, telnet etc.), however, development has been discontinued. As it uses Siemens' wavebox program, the UPnP feature is included.
Provided that you have an NFS server (usually running under Linux), you could alternatively use it to solve your file size problem.
3) IMHO, the vdr-FW is much better, but it's not (yet?) UPnP capable and comfortable MPEG-playback needs some hacks. Files > 4GB should be accessible via NFS, however, I can't test that right now because I haven't got such a big file.

Cheers,

Thomas
06-04-2007, 02:58 PM
MARC38 Wrote:OK thank you. If Y well understood your point, then I just need to keep the atual Siemens FW and just use the UPnP capability with a server installed on Win XP ?
Some people reported similiar problems with Upnp-Servers, but that was long time ago. Just try it, maybe the actual versions do it better.
MARC38 Wrote:I also plan to use a NAS like Synology.
Probably the same problems. If the NAS uses SMB/CIFS nothing changes.
Look for a NAs that supports NFS-3 (NFS-2 has a 2-GB-Limit). I'm not absolutely sure, but i think the Lemmi-FW supports it.
06-04-2007, 03:05 PM
nfs-Server on Synology
06-04-2007, 03:24 PM
tuxor Wrote:nfs-Server on Synology
At a first glance, that seems to be only NFS-2.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Samba with support for large files prk5107 0 6.367 05-20-2008 11:33 PM
Last Post: prk5107
  2.03.42. Timeshift File Bug m740av-anwender 26 22.280 11-07-2006 09:55 PM
Last Post: m740av-anwender