Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
[NEC] documentation request
11-07-2006, 12:31 PM
[NEC] documentation request
hello everybody,

as everyone knows, we have a lack of documentation of the emma2 and the whole SoC design.
NEC supplies these stuff only under NDA which ist not the right way for oss engeneering.

maybe we could change their minds about that if we ask as a whole community in an open
letter to provide docs. we have to show out that oss developed and maintained driver
are a better choice for nec and their marketing position.

this needs a bit of strategy, everyone how is interested in this, please poste here and
show up your ideas.

regards
gambler

no log, no support -> post your /var/log/messages
diffs metter, talk doesn't
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-07-2006, 01:07 PM
Exclamation RE: [NEC] documentation request
look forward this Forum, maybe help this ???

http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5922

Dr.Who

[ng-vdr]<->[NFS]<->[LinkStation 250GB NAS]
11-07-2006, 01:59 PM
RE: [NEC] documentation request
Dr.Who Wrote:look forward this Forum, maybe help this ???

http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5922

Dr.Who
this was my intension to post it here in the international forum.
everyone can participate here, more poeple more power Wink

11-07-2006, 02:09 PM
Siemens released in gigaset_m740av_gplsw in DirectFB-0.9.18/gfxdrivers/emma a directfb gfx driver. Maybe this helps to understand the gfx part of EMMA
11-07-2006, 02:39 PM
glotzi Wrote:Siemens released in gigaset_m740av_gplsw in DirectFB-0.9.18/gfxdrivers/emma a directfb gfx driver. Maybe this helps to understand the gfx part of EMMA
The driver hasn't anything to do with gfx parts of the emma, its just a little modified framebuffer controller. The naming gfx ist misleading.
Even if this thing show how the framebuffer driver may used, this doesn't help.

Documentation is needed for writing own drivers.

Greetings

Andreas

no log, no support-> post your /var/log/messages
11-07-2006, 03:24 PM
ok guys, you slightly missed the point.
we want documentation for writing and maintaining oss drivers of the *for now* closed nec modules.
what i am trying to get here, are ideas of howto write the open letter, arguments for our position,
someone who writes a far better english then mine, some frendly contacts to nec if anyone has worked
with them in the past and so on....

11-07-2006, 03:34 PM
Ok, I think it's time to bundle our efforts.

Later on this day I'll register to this forum Dr. Who mentioned and ask the people there to join us.

There's another mailing list which might be worth considering to ask for help:
http://www.linux-mips.org/archives/linux...00234.html

I tried something like this in other Siemens' user forums, the spanish and the french one, but it didn't work in any way. The french forum didn't confirm my registration request at all (I have no idea why), and in the spanish forum there wasn't any response (except of a user who translated my english post to spanish).
Maybe we should concentrate on more technical forums like ours and the two mentioned above. It seems to me that users in common support forums do not get the sense of having free drivers...
11-07-2006, 03:38 PM (This post was last modified: 11-07-2006 04:10 PM by Rocco Granata.)
What about something like this as an additional means - especially something easy to participate like this:

http://www.petitiononline.com/oggpet/petition.html

Maybe with slightly more information about our topic than they have about theirs Wink...
11-07-2006, 05:41 PM
hi rocco,

yes, it seems to that normaluser just don't care about open drivers or how they could
usefull for them. this has to change too. if more users take care of this the major
vendors have to rethink over their position.

if the letter is ready, the online petition could be a good thing to point out that many
of our users care about open drivers. but i think there is a bunch of work and reserch befor.

first of all, we have to grow. a handfull of people wont change anything.

11-07-2006, 06:46 PM (This post was last modified: 11-07-2006 06:47 PM by Rocco Granata.)
Maybe in a way that we here create this open letter, and the "regular users" can sign this letter via an online petition like the one I mentioned.
We'll have some fake signings then, but I think the amount of fakes wouldn't be too big. The problem is how much personal information is required to sign. Nick? Real name? Mailaddress? We have to discuss this later on.

But you're right, at first we have to write a letter. For that letter we should find some good examples of OpenSource <-> business relations with some major players to emphasize our demand, e.g. Linksys (which is Cisco at the end) <-> OpenWrt, IBM, Intel and their network drivers...

P.S.: Have you already heard this one:
http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/pressroo...zilla.html